GUIDELINES FOR COMPLETING ADVANCEMENT TO
CANDIDACY FORM MASTER’S DEGREE
These guidelines must be followed in completing the Advancement to Candidacy form. This form lists the specific
requirements (i.e., courses, exams, thesis/project) to be completed before a Master’s degree can be awarded. When the
Advancement form is accepted and approved by the Graduate Dean, a student is officially advanced to degree candidacy.
The student must submit three (3) copies (one original & two copies) of the signed form to the Office of Graduate
Studies for processing
1. Name - Be consistent. Submit a Data Change form for name changes – keep our records current.
2. Enter your Student Identification number (Sac State ID)
3. Address - Alert Graduate Center staff of address changes. Keep your address current on My Sac State. You
could miss important notices or your diploma may be mailed to an old address.
4. Phone / e-mail - We may need to contact you with questions about your record.
5. Major (i.e., Business, English, Psychology, Counseling, Social Work)
6. Concentration (i.e., Finance, Creative Writing) - Do not list areas of study such as Software
Engineering for Computer Science.
7. Catalog - Enter catalog years used in listing courses completed (i.e., 2008 - 10 catalog). All required
courses listed in the catalog must be accounted for on the Advancement form (if a course substitution
is made, it should be noted with an asterisk () on the Advancement form). After the Advancement to
Candidacy form has been approved by the Graduate Dean all changes must be submitted for approval on a
Petition for Exception.
8. Check if Graduate Writing Requirements have been completed - The writing proficiency requirement must be
satisfied according to University policy before a student may advance to candidacy. Effective Fall 1996, students
admitted to the University may not use CBEST or the English Diagnostic Test (EDT) as a waiver for the Writing
9. List advisor and committee members - Please print first and last names. Members who are non-tenured or
tenure track faculty must receive approval from the Graduate Dean to serve on the Master’s Committee.
The following applies to #10 - #12: At the Master’s level, no grade below a “B” (3.0 grade points per unit) may be
counted toward the degree unless expressly permitted by a campus-approved graduate programs’ written
10. List the core courses as listed in the catalog year you are using - Any substitutions to the core
courses must be noted and a rational provided on a separate sheet.
11. List the courses taken for the area of study, electives, or concentration - If more space is needed to list
courses, a Page 2 Form is available on the Office of Graduate Studies website www.csus.edu/gradstudies
Please submit three (3) copies of the form with signatures.
12. Check the appropriate box (i.e. Thesis, Project or Exam) and list the Culminating Experience you will be
completing (e.g. Govt. 500) - Include number of units to be taken.
13. Sign and Date the form
14. Advisor’s signature - [For Special Majors: The two committee members should sign on this line.]
15. The Graduate Coordinator’s (faculty member) signature is required, except in the case of a Special Major.
[Special Major - Applicants should obtain the signatures of their Committee Members on line 14. The Graduate
Dean serves as the Graduate Coordinator for Special Major students]
Due Dates - In order to enroll into Culminating Experience, this form will need to be returned to the Office of Graduate
Studies (Riverfront Center, Room 215) by:
October 1 for Spring enrollment / February 1 for Fall enrollment
NOTE: ATC cancelled if discounted and / or not maintained Continuous Enrollment (after initial enrollment of Culminating
Experience). Nov 2017