INSTRUCTIONS FOR COMPLETING
APPOINTMENT/TERMINATION RECORD - AUTHORIZED SIGNATURE
DD FORM 577 (BACK), NOV 2014
Use this form to:
1. Appoint disbursing officers and their agents, e.g., deputy disbursing officers, disbursing agents, paying agents, cashiers,
imprest fund cashiers, change fund custodians, and collection agents.
2. Appoint certifying officers. Certifying officers are those individuals, military or civilian, designated to attest to the correctness
of statements, facts, accounts, and amounts appearing on a voucher for payment.
3. Appoint departmental officials. Departmental officials are those individuals, military or civilian, who are designated in writing
and are not otherwise accountable under applicable law, who provide source information, data or service on which a
certifying officer relies when certifying vouchers as correct and proper for payment.
4. Appoint safekeeping custodians or assistants. Appointees to these positions are not subject to pecuniary liability.
5. Governing guidance is in the Department of Defense Financial Management Regulation, Volume 5 (Disbursing Policy).
1. Enter the Appointee's name and rank or grade.
2. Enter the Appointee's 10-digit DoD Identification Number.
3. Enter the Appointee's title.
4. - 5. Enter the name, complete address (to include e-mail address), and telephone number (include DSN when available)
of the DoD Component or activity to which appointed.
6. Mark X in the appropriate box to indicate the duty the appointee will perform (select only one). If appointing a disbursing
officer or deputy disbursing officer, enter the appropriate DSSN in the space provided.
7. The appointing authority identifies the types of payments affected, but need only be specific as he or she considers
necessary, and may include any other pertinent, applicable information (e.g., system involved).
8. List all publications the Appointee must review and follow in order to adequately fulfill the requirements of the appointment.
9. - 12. Enter the appointing authority's name, title, DoD Component/Organization location, and date signed.
13. The appointing authority must enter his or her manual or digital signature. If signature is digital, completing item 12 is not
required since the digital signature includes the date; enter only after completion of items 1 through 11, as this signature
will "lock" those items.
14. - 16. The appointee enters his or her name and digital (16a) or manual (16b) signature, or both, depending on type(s) of
signature(s) to be employed, in the appropriate spaces. If the signature is manual (16b), complete item 15, but if the
signature is ONLY digital (16a), completing item 15 is not required since the digital signature includes the date. If the
appointee enters both manual and digital signatures, the dates in items 15 and 16a must match. The date in item 15
(or 16a if signed digitally) cannot be earlier than the date in item 12 or 13. The appointment is effective on the date of
acceptance by the appointee, and is not in force without his or her acknowledgement.
Completing this section terminates the original appointment. If partial authority is to be retained, complete a new DD Form 577.
17. Enter the date the termination is effective. Completion of this item is not required if item 21 is signed digitally, since the
electronic signature includes the date.
18. The appointee initials in the space provided acknowledging revocation of the appointment.
19. - 21. The appointing authority enters his or her name, title and signature (which may be digital) in the spaces provided.