SP-41 (R7/13) Page | 2 of 2
MUST BE COMPLETED FOR PROCESSING
APPLICATION FOR VEHICLE LICENSE PLATES AND/OR PLACARDS
FOR PERSONS WITH A DISABILITY
SECTION E: MEDICAL PRACTITIONER’S CERTIFICATION
Name of Medical Practitioner: ________________________________________________
Street Address: _________________________________________________
City, State, Zip Code: __________________________________________ Telephone number: _____________________
National Provider Identification Number (NPI #): ________________________________________ (required)
Taxonomy Code: ____________________________________ (required)
Required prescription attached. Required letterhead attached (ONLY for medical practitioners who are not
authorized to write prescriptions).
By law, eligibility for license plates and/or a placard for persons with a disability is limited to the following conditions.
(NO OTHER PERSON IS ELIGIBLE FOR LICENSE PLATES AND/OR A PLACARD).
Patient Name (print) ____________________________________________________________
1. Has lost the use of one or more limbs as a consequence of paralysis, amputation, or other permanent disability.
2. Is severely and permanently disabled and cannot walk without the use of or assistance from a brace, cane, crutch, another
person, prosthetic device, wheelchair or other assistive device.
3. Suffers from lung disease to such an extent that the applicant’s forced (respiratory) expiratory volume for one second,
when measured by spirometry, is less than one liter, or the arterial oxygen tension is less than sixty mm/hg on room air at
rest; or uses portable oxygen.
4. Has a cardiac condition to the extent that the applicant’s functional limitations are classified in severity as Class III or
Class IV according to standards set by the American Heart Association.
5. Is severely and permanently limited in the ability to walk because of an arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition; or
cannot walk two hundred feet without stopping to rest.
6. Has a permanent sight impairment of both eyes as certified by the N.J. Commission of the Blind (Placard only).
I CERTIFY, UNDER PENALTY OF LAW, THAT MY PATIENT (print name) _________________________________________
HAS BEEN PERSONALLY EXAMINED BY ME AND MEETS THE ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA AS SPECIFIED IN ITEM
NUMBER(S) ______________ (select from above) AND THUS MEETS THE REQUIREMENTS FOR THE RECEIPT OF
LICENSE PLATES AND/OR A PLACARD FOR PERSONS WITH A DISABILITY.
Signature of Medical Practitioner _________________________________________________________ Date______________
SECTION F: TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. Pursuant to N.J.S.A. 2C:21-4(a), N.J.S.A. 2C:43-3, and N.J.S.A. 2C:43-6, making a false statement or providing misinformation on
an application to obtain or facilitate the receipt of license plates or placards for persons with disabilities is a fourth degree crime and a
person who has been convicted of this offense may be subject to pay a fine not to exceed $10,000 and a term of imprisonment of up
to 18 months.
2. Wheelchair symbol license plates may be issued for one vehicle owned, operated or leased by a person with a disability or family
member providing transportation for that person
3. Wheelchair symbol license plates must be renewed every year, disability recertification is required every three years.
4. The placard must be displayed on the rearview mirror of the vehicle whenever such vehicle is parked in a designated wheelchair
symbol parking space and must be removed when the vehicle is in motion.
5. Persons with a Disability Identification Cards and placards must be recertified every three years.
6. The Motor Vehicle Commission requires that the disability of a person with a disability be recertified by a qualified medical
practitioner certifying their qualification as provided under N.J.A.C. 13:20-9.1(a) 4.
7. The Person with a Disability placard and /or license plates are to be used exclusively for a person with a disability named on the
identification card. The identification card is nontransferable and shall be revoked if used by any other person. If the placard and/or
license plates are no longer used by the person named on the identification card, they must be returned to the New Jersey Motor
Vehicle Commission. Abuse of this privilege is cause for revocation of both the license plates and/or placard.
I CERTIFY, UNDER PENALTY OF LAW, THAT I AGREE WITH THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS APPLICATION.
Signature of Registered Vehicle Owner:__________________________________________________Date:_______________
Signature of Person with a Disability: ___________________________ ________________________Date: _______________