APPEAL TO EXTENUATING CIRCUMSTANCE COMMITTEE
The procedure for requesting an exception outside of the College’s Tuition Refund Policy is available to students
when severe circumstances arise that prevented a student from attending classes for the remainder of a semester or
resulted in non-attendance of classes in which you were enrolled.
Attendance beyond the 8
week of the semester is not eligible for consideration by the ECC
CRITERIA FOR APPEALS:
• Severe medical issues or serious injury directly involving yourself or immediate family member
• Academic Course Error
• Student’s Military Activation
• Other: Severe/Unforeseen circumstance
1. You must officially withdraw from course(s) that you are appealing. The College cannot process your appeal if
you remain enrolled in a course(s). Non-attendance does not cancel a student’s financial liability. If you were
assigned a grade “N” (never attended) , this grade cannot be changed to a withdrawal.
2. To apply for retroactive withdrawals for a previous semester, you must first submit appeal to the Retroactive
Withdrawal Committee, Farmingdale State College, Attn: Amanda Lavery, Chair, Hale Hall Room 127,
Farmingdale, NY 11735
3. Complete the refund request form: refund request form must be completed in its entirety.
4. Attach supporting documentation and typed detailed statement.
a. Typed detailed statement why you were unable to complete semester. Submitted by you (the student);
(not a third party, unless legally assigned).
b. Supporting documentation should include extenuating circumstance which occurred during
the semester that prevented you from attending classes for the remainder of a semester or from
attending classes in which you were enrolled, the severity and length of circumstance(s) and must
be in official document format. A final decision is made based on supporting documentation. Additional
information will NOT be accepted.
5. Request must be addressed to: Farmingdale State College, Extenuating Circumstances Committee,
Dean of Students-Laffin Hall Room 314, 2350 Broadhollow Road, Farmingdale, NY 11735-1021
6. A request for tuition credit must be submitted no later than one year after the end of term in question. For
example, a student requesting a tuition credit for the Spring semester must submit their request before the end of
the following Spring semester. Appeals received after the deadline will not be honored.
7. Drop/Add refund dates are widely publicized. Therefore, appeals based on lack of awareness of the dates will not
8. Non-attendance does not cancel a student’s financial liability. An extenuating circumstance explaining non-
attendance must be submitted; if appeal is approved an administrative cancelled registration fee will be assessed.
9. The Committee will communicate its decision in writing. The Committee’s decisions are final. The Committee
does not, under any circumstances, take phone calls or schedule appointments. Allow six to eight weeks.
10. If your appeal is approved, you will receive a pro-rated refund of tuition based on the withdrawal date or last date
Appeals will be DENIED without completed request form, supporting documents and student’s typed statement.