EDUCATIONAL POLICIES COMMITTEE
INSTRUCTIONS FOR PROPOSING A NEW MAJOR OR MINOR
A. Importance to the College
• The program allows the College to be at the forefront of a developing area of knowledge.
• The program opens new professional and career opportunities without being limited to
narrow vocational training.
• The program contributes to the welfare of the wider community.
• The program contributes to the reputation of Alma College as a Liberal Arts institution
responsive to society.
B. Promise of success
• The program will attract excellent students.
• The program will contribute to diversity of students and/or staff.
• The program will heighten student awareness of and/or concern with value issues.
• The program will take advantage of the strengths of College faculty.
• The program will attract outstanding faculty.
• The program pursues a coherent, unified, and identifiable body of knowledge in both
breadth and depth.
C. Projected needs for resources
• The program does not involve diversion of resources needed to accomplish the basic Liberal
Arts goals of the College.
• The program fall within the objectives and priorities of the College’s strategic plan.
• The program has strong sources of independent funding, e.g. grants, endowments.
1. Please complete this form using Adobe Acrobat.
2. If you have issues with the form not saving properly, instead try to print to pdf and then save the pdf.
3. Please submit electronically to Daneene Held at firstname.lastname@example.org to be reviewed by EPC.
Form revised October 2018