ADVANCED SCHOLARS PROGRAM (ASP) INSTRUCTIONS
Your signature on the preceding form indicates that you have read, understand, and agree to the requirements and guidelines detailed on
this instruction page for students enrolling in Grinnell College courses via ASP. Contact the Office of the Registrar at 641-269-3450 or
Requirements and Guidelines:
• The following approvals are required before submitting this form to the Office of the Registrar:
Instructor – Always required.
Student – Always required.
Parent/Guardian - This approval only required if student is under 18 years of age.
Cashier’s Office – Always required, obtained at the time you submit the completed form.
Office of Admissions - This approval only required the first time that an ASP student registers. Once admitted to ASP,
this approval is no longer required to register for courses at Grinnell College.
• ASP students may register for a maximum of 6 credits per semester and a program maximum of 24 credits total. The Student
Enrollment Working Group considers appeals to this policy. Contact the Office of the Registrar with questions. With the
exception of music ensembles (MUS-101), ASP students are not eligible to audit Grinnell College courses.
• ASP students are eligible to enroll in any regular or special topic course at Grinnell College with the following exceptions:
o Individualized Study courses, including but not limited to: Guided Reading, Directed Research, Independent Study,
Internships, and Mentored Advanced Projects.
o Alternate language study (ALSO) courses.
o Physical Education (PHE) courses.
• ASP students must receive a grade of C or better in order to continue to taking courses through the program.
• ASP students will not be registered until the first day of the semester. Placement is not guaranteed as registration priority is given
to Grinnell’s degree-seeking students.
• All Grinnell College policies and procedures, as detailed in the Academic Catalog
, apply to ASP
students. Please note that it is the student’s responsibility to read, understand, and abide by these policies and procedures.
• All course and student-related deadlines and penalties (Add, Drop, Withdraw, etc.) apply to ASP students. It is the student’s
responsibility to read, understand, and abide by these standards.
• ASP students are not degree candidates. Grinnell College credit will be granted for each course successfully completed. If you
are later admitted to Grinnell College and matriculate as a degree candidate, a maximum of 24 credits earned as an ASP student
at the College will apply toward your degree. The grades for these courses WILL be calculated in your official Grinnell College
GPA. Courses taken at Grinnell College are not guaranteed to transfer or fulfill program requirements at another institution.
• Grinnell College tuition will not be assessed for any courses taken on-campus, however, there may be additional fees depending
on your course enrollment—for instance studio art materials or music lesson fees. ASP students are responsible for all fees
generated by registration. Please consult with the Cashier’s Office and/or The Office of Financial Aid
if you have questions.
• ASP students will not be assigned a faculty advisor but may access the College’s Academic Advising center if needed.
• By signing and submitting the ASP Registration Form, you authorize Grinnell College to provide information contained in your
educational record to school officials at your high school that have a legitimate academic interest. This information includes but
is not limited to the release of your course schedule, grades, financial information, and information regarding your academic
progress and standing. This permission is given pursuant to the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C.
§34CFR Part 99.)