• 201 High Street, Brock Hall 107, Farmville, VA 23909 • P: 434-395-2077 • F: 434-395-2829 •
Options to Submit Tax information
IRS Data Retrieval Tool
The most efficient and time-saving way to verify income is by using the IRS DATA Retrieval Tool (IRS
DRT) that is part of the FAFSA on the Web at FAFSA.gov.
1. Log in to your FAFSA and select Make FAFSA Corrections, then select the 2020-2021 FAFSA.
2. Under the Financial Information tab you will see a question asking if you completed your tax
return for 2018. Select Already C
ompleted and the Link to IRS option will appear, if eligible.
3. Select Link to IRS and follow prompts to enter the IRS website.
4. Once on the IRS site enter all information requested and select Submit.
5. Please be sure to check Transfer My Tax Information into the FAFSA Form followed by Transfer
6. Once transferred successfully you should see a message that reads Transferred from the IRS.
Submit a signed copy of your 2018 Form 1040, along with Schedules 1, 2, and 3 if you were required to
file them. You must also include Schedule C/C-EZ (for self-employment) and/or Schedule F (farm
income) if filed with your 1040. Our office reserves the right to request any additional documentation we
find necessary to complete your federal verification.
Requesting the Tax Return Transcript or Verification of Non-Filing
Online Request – www.irs.gov. Click Get Your Tax Record followed by Get Transcript Online. This
process will either produce a Tax Return Transcript if you filed, or a Verification of Non-Filing if you
did not file. For Tax Return Transcripts, make sure to request the Tax Return Transcript and NOT the
Tax Account Transcript. Upon successful completion of the IRS’s two-step authentication online the
transcript will appear. If at any point you cannot validate your identity you will need to use the Get
Transcript by Mail option (NOT available for Verification of Non-filing), which will arrive within 10
Telephone Request (Not Available for Verification of Non-filing)
– Available from the IRS by
calling 1-800-908-9946. Select option 2 to request an IRS Tax Return Transcript and then enter the year
you are requesting (2018). You should receive the transcript within 10 business days from the IRS’s
receipt of the telephone request.
Paper Request – Complete IRS form 4506-T at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf. Please
make sure to complete all sections requested, including box 7 if requesting Verification of Non-filing.
Then enter the date 12/31/2018 in section 9, check the signature check box, and sign the form. Mail or
fax the form to the address or fax number provided on page 2 of the 4506-T Form. You will generally
receive the transcript or Verification of Non-filing within 10 business days from the IRS’s receipt of the
Submit the form and all required documents to: Longwood University Financial Aid