PPLICATION TO GRADUATE IN ABSENTIA
Office of the Registrar / 200 West Kawili St. Hilo, HI 96720-4091 / Student Services Building, First Floor Rm E-101 / Phone: (808) 932-7447 / Fax: (808) 932-7448 / E-mail: email@example.com
Students wishing to earn their degrees from the University of Hawai`i at Hilo must be enrolled at UH Hilo for their final
semester. Under extraordinary circumstances a student may earn their final credits at an institution other than UH Hilo
and, upon official transfer of these credits back to UH Hilo, graduate with their degree from UH Hilo; this practice is
called graduation in absentia. A student must demonstrate a compelling personal reason to graduate in absentia, and
must complete this form and return it to the appropriate college dean.
Graduation in absentia is not automatic nor is it a right of students. In order to be eligible to be considered for
graduation in absentia, a student must meet all
of the conditions specified under Section II of this application.
1. Students may take no more than fifteen (15) semester credits on an in absentia basis unless one of the following
conditions is met:
a. The student's final semester is part of a student exchange program.
b. The student's final semester is part of an officially sponsored and recognized internship or
cooperative learning experience.
2. Students must have the prior approval of their academic advisor and department chair for both permission to
graduate in absentia and for a specification of courses/credits to be taken. Catalog descriptions of all courses
listed on this application MUST be attached. In addition, the advisor must pre-approve the institution from
which the credits will be earned.
3. The institution from which the credits will be taken must be an accredited institution of higher education.
4. Students must be in good academic standing with a declared major.
5. Except for fifteen (15) or fewer credits in which they intend to enroll, students must have fulfilled all degree
requirements including campus residency requirements.
6. Students must submit a graduation application and fee to the UH Hilo Office the Registrar in a timely manner.
7. Students must officially transfer the credits back to UH Hilo in a timely manner, i.e., such credits must be
transferred back to UH Hilo no later than the UH Hilo Office of the Registrar deadline for graduation certification
of the term of completion.