Instructions for ABN Certificate 10.03.17
Instructions for Completing an Assumed Business Name Certificate
Item 1: Enter the assumed business name(s) you propose to use. You may register up to five (5) assumed
business names for use by the same person or entity on this form.
Item 2: Enter the name(s) of the person(s) or entity engaging in business under this name.
● For sole proprietorships, provide the real name of the individual.
● For general partnerships, if you have fewer than five (5) general partners, list all general partners.
If there are five (5) or more general partners, then list only five (5) general partners.
● For limited partnerships, limited liability limited partnerships, corporations, limited liability
companies (LLCs), provide the:
○ Exact name as registered with the NC Secretary of State, and
○ SOSID number assigned by the NC Secretary of State.
Go to www.sosnc.gov/br/search to look up this information.
● For trusts, the name specified in the trust instrument.
● For any other legal entity, list the legal name of the entity.
Item 3: Describe the nature of the business. What types of goods or services are being provided? (Examples:
Lawn Maintenance, Personal Fitness Training, Retail Sales, House Repair)
Item 4: Enter the street address of the principal place of business, i.e., the physical location of where your
business is primarily located. Post office boxes are not acceptable.
Item 5: Enter the mailing address, if it is different from the street address of the principal place of business.
Item 6: Enter the county or counties where you intend to do business. You may enter the names of as many
counties as you would like, or you may check the box indicating “All 100 Counties” rather than listing counties
Remember: you must file a certificate of amendment if you decide to engage in business in counties
other than those your designate on your initial assumed business name certificate.
Execution of Certificate: Enter the date that you signed the certificate. Certificates must be signed by a person
with the capacity listed below on behalf of the person(s) named in Item 2:
Sole proprietorship: must be signed by the individual; title as “sole proprietor” or “owner”.
General Partnership: must be signed by a general partner.
Limited partnership: must be signed by a general partner.
Corporation: must be signed by an officer of the corporation.
Limited Liability Company: must be signed by a manager, member, director or officer of the LLC.
Trust: must be signed by a trustee or other person authorized to act on behalf of the trust.
In the case of any other legal entity, the certificate must be signed in the name of the entity by an
individual authorized to act for the entity.
1. These certificates do not expire or require renewal. HOWEVER, you must file an Amendment of Assumed
Business Name Certificate within sixty (60) days of change of any information provided on this form.
(See NCGS § 66-71.7)
2. Knowingly signing a certificate that is false in any material respect is a Class 1 misdemeanor.
(See NCGS § 66-71.14)