Only complete applicant/owner portion of this form and return it to the Department of Codes Compliance, Third Floor, City Hall, 2400
Washington Avenue, Newport News, Virginia 23607. The applicable fee must be paid at the time of application.
Checks must be payable to the City of Newport News.
Application for ZONING CONFIRMATION AND HOME OCCUPATION
All properties for which certificates are requested must be reviewed and/or inspected in the following order: (If you mail in your
application, wait a few days to be sure it is received, then telephone to request an inspection.)
1. ZONING INSPECTION – establishes that the use requested is permitted within the zoning district and meets all other criteria for
such use, i.e., off-street parking, etc. Please contact the Zoning Coordinator at 757-933-2311
2. FIRE PREVENTION INSPECTION – establishes that the building and/or premises conform to the requirements of the Fire
Prevention Code. Please contact the Fire inspector at 247- 8873, Option 3, to arrange inspection after the building inspection.
Once these inspections are completed, an approved Certificate will be sent to the mailing address provided on the application.
ZONING REQUIREMENTS FOR HOME OCCUPATION
As an applicant for a business or professional license, I understand that the provisions of the City of Newport News Zoning
Ordinance strictly regulate the operation of a business of any type in a residential zoned district. The following is a summary of
requirements taken from Sections 45-201, 45-517, and 45-3001(H) of the Zoning Ordinance.
1. The owner or operator of the business must be a member of the family residing in the dwelling listed as the address for the
2. The home occupation must not make use of more than four hundred (400) square feet of floor space.
3. The home occupation must not make use of any accessory building.
4. The exterior appearance of the dwelling must not be changed in such a manner as to indicate that a business is being
conducted on the premises, nor shall advertising of any type be placed on the premises.
5. Storing materials in such a manner that they are visible from outside of the building is not permitted.
6. No nuisance may be created by varying from the residential character of the premises. This includes, but is not limited to:
(a) Generating more traffic, noise, a greater demand for parking, sewage, or water use in excess of what is normal to
the residential uses of that neighborhood.
(b) Creating a hazard to persons or property.
7. Conducting group instructions or any activity that results in an assembly of persons or vehicles is prohibited.
8. One small commercial vehicle is permitted to be parked. This includes a wrecker or tow truck equal to or less than 16,500
pounds of gross weight if its operator is on the tow lists of the Newport News Police Department or the Virginia State
Any questions regarding the meaning or intent of the above regulations may be directed to the Zoning Coordinator of the Department
of Codes Compliance. Telephone: 757-933-2311 Email: email@example.com
ZONING CONFIRMATION (NON-REFUNDABLE $35.00 APPLICATION FEE)
HOME OCCUPATION CERTIFICATE OF USE AND OCCUPANCY (NON-REFUNDABLE $50.00 APPLICATION FEE)
EXISTING BUILDING/CHANGE OF USE NON-REFUNDABLE $55.00 APPLICATION FEE)
Please provide a check payable to the City of Newport News, and mail to:
City of Newport News
Department of Codes Compliance
Attn: Zoning Coordinator
2400 Washington Avenue, 3rd Floor
Newport News, Virginia 23607