City of Everett
March 1, 2011
Interested Contractors:
The City of Everett has established a Small Works Roster to expedite the solicitation and
award of bids on small public works projects up to $300,000. Public works include all
work, construction, alteration, repair, or improvement other than ordinary maintenance,
executed at the cost of the City, or which is by law a lien or charge upon City property.
The purpose of the Small Works Roster is to form a pool of contractors for various small
construction projects. The projects will require in general that:
Prevailing wages be paid and documented in compliance with Chapter 39.12,
A performance bond be executed in compliance with Chapter 39.08, RCW, before
beginning work;
The contractor hold a Washington State Contractor’s License;
The contractor deliver a certificate of insurance naming the City as an additional
insured before beginning work;
The contractor have a City of Everett Business License before beginning work; and
The contractor provide a complete and accurate W-9 form.
When the need to have a small public work performed is identified, all qualified bidders
recorded on the Small Works Roster in the appropriate category or categories shall be
invited to bid. Any bidder who does not respond to a small works roster invitation to bid
will be removed from that category or categories of the Small Works Roster. A written
response of “No Bid” shall be sufficient response to retain a vendor on the Small Works
Attached is a small works roster application for your use as well as a copy of City of
Everett’s Standard Terms and Conditions. Please complete the blanks that best apply to
you (maximum of three). Feel free to call (425) 257-8840 if you have any questions.
Clark Langstraat, CPPO, C.P.M.
Purchasing Manager
City of Everett Purchasing Division
3200 Cedar Street
Fax: 425-257-8864
Everett, WA 98201
We request to be added to your “Small Works Roster” in accordance with R.C.W. 39.04.155 and your governing guidelines.
Firm Name:
City: State: Zip:
“Remit To” Address (if different):
Telephone: Day Night Fax
State Contractor’s License No: UBI#
City of Everett Business License No:
Bonded with:
Liability Insurance with:
Certified Minority-owned Business: Yes No #
Certified Woman-owned Business: Yes No #
Other disadvantaged qualifications, explain:
We wish to be included for the following areas of construction (Bold categories are historically the most frequently used):
(Select a maximum of three)
092103 LOGGING
092053 DRYWALL
092146 ROOFING
092070 FENCE
092162 SIDING
092167 SIGNAGE
092086 GLAZING
By signing below, I certify that I understand the standard terms and conditions and requirements for prevailing wage, bonding,
and Everett Business License:
Signed Date Title
Note to Contractor: Are you able to receive specifications
via e-mail (MS Word or Excel files)? Yes
E-mail address
Form W-9
(Rev. January 2011)
Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Request for Taxpayer
Identification Number and Certification
Give Form to the
requester. Do not
send to the IRS.
Print or type
See Specific Instructions on page 2.
Name (as shown on your income tax return)
Business name/disregarded entity name, if different from above
Check appropriate box for federal tax
classification (required):
Individual/sole proprietor
C Corporation S Corporation Partnership
Limited liability company. Enter the tax classification (C=C corporation, S=S corporation, P=partnership)
Other (see instructions)
Exempt payee
Address (number, street, and apt. or suite no.)
City, state, and ZIP code
Requester’s name and address (optional)
List account number(s) here (optional)
Part I Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN)
Enter your TIN in the appropriate box. The TIN provided must match the name given on the “Name” line
to avoid backup withholding. For individuals, this is your social security number (SSN). However, for a
resident alien, sole proprietor, or disregarded entity, see the Part I instructions on page 3. For other
entities, it is your employer identification number (EIN). If you do not have a number, see How to get a
TIN on page 3.
Note. If the account is in more than one name, see the chart on page 4 for guidelines on whose
number to enter.
Social security number
Employer identification number
Part II Certification
Under penalties of perjury, I certify that:
1. The number shown on this form is my correct taxpayer identification number (or I am waiting for a number to be issued to me), and
2. I am not subject to backup withholding because: (a) I am exempt from backup withholding, or (b) I have not been notified by the Internal Revenue
Service (IRS) that I am subject to backup withholding as a result of a failure to report all interest or dividends, or (c) the IRS has notified me that I am
no longer subject to backup withholding, and
3. I am a U.S. citizen or other U.S. person (defined below).
Certification instructions. You must cross out item 2 above if you have been notified by the IRS that you are currently subject to backup withholding
because you have failed to report all interest and dividends on your tax return. For real estate transactions, item 2 does not apply. For mortgage
interest paid, acquisition or abandonment of secured property, cancellation of debt, contributions to an individual retirement arrangement (IRA), and
generally, payments other than interest and dividends, you are not required to sign the certification, but you must provide your correct TIN. See the
instructions on page 4.
Signature of
U.S. person
General Instructions
Section references are to the Internal Revenue Code unless otherwise
Purpose of Form
A person who is required to file an information return with the IRS must
obtain your correct taxpayer identification number (TIN) to report, for
example, income paid to you, real estate transactions, mortgage interest
you paid, acquisition or abandonment of secured property, cancellation
of debt, or contributions you made to an IRA.
Use Form W-9 only if you are a U.S. person (including a resident
alien), to provide your correct TIN to the person requesting it (the
requester) and, when applicable, to:
1. Certify that the TIN you are giving is correct (or you are waiting for a
number to be issued),
2. Certify that you are not subject to backup withholding, or
3. Claim exemption from backup withholding if you are a U.S. exempt
payee. If applicable, you are also certifying that as a U.S. person, your
allocable share of any partnership income from a U.S. trade or business
is not subject to the withholding tax on foreign partners’ share of
effectively connected income.
Note. If a requester gives you a form other than Form W-9 to request
your TIN, you must use the requester’s form if it is substantially similar
to this Form W-9.
Definition of a U.S. person. For federal tax purposes, you are
considered a U.S. person if you are:
• An individual who is a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien,
• A partnership, corporation, company, or association created or
organized in the United States or under the laws of the United States,
• An estate (other than a foreign estate), or
• A domestic trust (as defined in Regulations section 301.7701-7).
Special rules for partnerships. Partnerships that conduct a trade or
business in the United States are generally required to pay a withholding
tax on any foreign partners’ share of income from such business.
Further, in certain cases where a Form W-9 has not been received, a
partnership is required to presume that a partner is a foreign person,
and pay the withholding tax. Therefore, if you are a U.S. person that is a
partner in a partnership conducting a trade or business in the United
States, provide Form W-9 to the partnership to establish your U.S.
status and avoid withholding on your share of partnership income.
Cat. No. 10231X
Form W-9 (Rev. 1-2011)
Form W-9 (Rev. 1-2011)
Page 2
The person who gives Form W-9 to the partnership for purposes of
establishing its U.S. status and avoiding withholding on its allocable
share of net income from the partnership conducting a trade or business
in the United States is in the following cases:
• The U.S. owner of a disregarded entity and not the entity,
• The U.S. grantor or other owner of a grantor trust and not the trust,
• The U.S. trust (other than a grantor trust) and not the beneficiaries of
the trust.
Foreign person. If you are a foreign person, do not use Form W-9.
Instead, use the appropriate Form W-8 (see Publication 515,
Withholding of Tax on Nonresident Aliens and Foreign Entities).
Nonresident alien who becomes a resident alien. Generally, only a
nonresident alien individual may use the terms of a tax treaty to reduce
or eliminate U.S. tax on certain types of income. However, most tax
treaties contain a provision known as a “saving clause.” Exceptions
specified in the saving clause may permit an exemption from tax to
continue for certain types of income even after the payee has otherwise
become a U.S. resident alien for tax purposes.
If you are a U.S. resident alien who is relying on an exception
contained in the saving clause of a tax treaty to claim an exemption
from U.S. tax on certain types of income, you must attach a statement
to Form W-9 that specifies the following five items:
1. The treaty country. Generally, this must be the same treaty under
which you claimed exemption from tax as a nonresident alien.
2. The treaty article addressing the income.
3. The article number (or location) in the tax treaty that contains the
saving clause and its exceptions.
4. The type and amount of income that qualifies for the exemption
from tax.
5. Sufficient facts to justify the exemption from tax under the terms of
the treaty article.
Example. Article 20 of the U.S.-China income tax treaty allows an
exemption from tax for scholarship income received by a Chinese
student temporarily present in the United States. Under U.S. law, this
student will become a resident alien for tax purposes if his or her stay in
the United States exceeds 5 calendar years. However, paragraph 2 of
the first Protocol to the U.S.-China treaty (dated April 30, 1984) allows
the provisions of Article 20 to continue to apply even after the Chinese
student becomes a resident alien of the United States. A Chinese
student who qualifies for this exception (under paragraph 2 of the first
protocol) and is relying on this exception to claim an exemption from tax
on his or her scholarship or fellowship income would attach to Form
W-9 a statement that includes the information described above to
support that exemption.
If you are a nonresident alien or a foreign entity not subject to backup
withholding, give the requester the appropriate completed Form W-8.
What is backup withholding? Persons making certain payments to you
must under certain conditions withhold and pay to the IRS a percentage
of such payments. This is called “backup withholding.” Payments that
may be subject to backup withholding include interest, tax-exempt
interest, dividends, broker and barter exchange transactions, rents,
royalties, nonemployee pay, and certain payments from fishing boat
operators. Real estate transactions are not subject to backup
You will not be subject to backup withholding on payments you
receive if you give the requester your correct TIN, make the proper
certifications, and report all your taxable interest and dividends on your
tax return.
Payments you receive will be subject to backup
withholding if:
1. You do not furnish your TIN to the requester,
2. You do not certify your TIN when required (see the Part II
instructions on page 3 for details),
3. The IRS tells the requester that you furnished an incorrect TIN,
4. The IRS tells you that you are subject to backup withholding
because you did not report all your interest and dividends on your tax
return (for reportable interest and dividends only), or
5. You do not certify to the requester that you are not subject to
backup withholding under 4 above (for reportable interest and dividend
accounts opened after 1983 only).
Certain payees and payments are exempt from backup withholding.
See the instructions below and the separate Instructions for the
Requester of Form W-9.
Also see Special rules for partnerships on page 1.
Updating Your Information
You must provide updated information to any person to whom you
claimed to be an exempt payee if you are no longer an exempt payee
and anticipate receiving reportable payments in the future from this
person. For example, you may need to provide updated information if
you are a C corporation that elects to be an S corporation, or if you no
longer are tax exempt. In addition, you must furnish a new Form W-9 if
the name or TIN changes for the account, for example, if the grantor of a
grantor trust dies.
Failure to furnish TIN. If you fail to furnish your correct TIN to a
requester, you are subject to a penalty of $50 for each such failure
unless your failure is due to reasonable cause and not to willful neglect.
Civil penalty for false information with respect to withholding. If you
make a false statement with no reasonable basis that results in no
backup withholding, you are subject to a $500 penalty.
Criminal penalty for falsifying information. Willfully falsifying
certifications or affirmations may subject you to criminal penalties
including fines and/or imprisonment.
Misuse of TINs. If the requester discloses or uses TINs in violation of
federal law, the requester may be subject to civil and criminal penalties.
Specific Instructions
If you are an individual, you must generally enter the name shown on
your income tax return. However, if you have changed your last name,
for instance, due to marriage without informing the Social Security
Administration of the name change, enter your first name, the last name
shown on your social security card, and your new last name.
If the account is in joint names, list first, and then circle, the name of
the person or entity whose number you entered in Part I of the form.
Sole proprietor. Enter your individual name as shown on your income
tax return on the “Name” line. You may enter your business, trade, or
“doing business as (DBA)” name on the “Business name/disregarded
entity name” line.
Partnership, C Corporation, or S Corporation. Enter the entity's name
on the “Name” line and any business, trade, or “doing business as
(DBA) name” on the “Business name/disregarded entity name” line.
Disregarded entity. Enter the owner's name on the “Name” line. The
name of the entity entered on the “Name” line should never be a
disregarded entity. The name on the “Name” line must be the name
shown on the income tax return on which the income will be reported.
For example, if a foreign LLC that is treated as a disregarded entity for
U.S. federal tax purposes has a domestic owner, the domestic owner's
name is required to be provided on the “Name” line. If the direct owner
of the entity is also a disregarded entity, enter the first owner that is not
disregarded for federal tax purposes. Enter the disregarded entity's
name on the “Business name/disregarded entity name” line. If the owner
of the disregarded entity is a foreign person, you must complete an
appropriate Form W-8.
Note. Check the appropriate box for the federal tax classification of the
person whose name is entered on the “Name” line (Individual/sole
proprietor, Partnership, C Corporation, S Corporation, Trust/estate).
Limited Liability Company (LLC). If the person identified on the
“Name” line is an LLC, check the “Limited liability company” box only
and enter the appropriate code for the tax classification in the space
provided. If you are an LLC that is treated as a partnership for federal
tax purposes, enter “P” for partnership. If you are an LLC that has filed a
Form 8832 or a Form 2553 to be taxed as a corporation, enter “C” for
C corporation or “S” for S corporation. If you are an LLC that is
disregarded as an entity separate from its owner under Regulation
section 301.7701-3 (except for employment and excise tax), do not
check the LLC box unless the owner of the LLC (required to be
identified on the “Name” line) is another LLC that is not disregarded for
federal tax purposes. If the LLC is disregarded as an entity separate
from its owner, enter the appropriate tax classification of the owner
identified on the “Name” line.
Form W-9 (Rev. 1-2011)
Page 3
Other entities. Enter your business name as shown on required federal
tax documents on the “Name” line. This name should match the name
shown on the charter or other legal document creating the entity. You
may enter any business, trade, or DBA name on the “Business name/
disregarded entity name” line.
Exempt Payee
If you are exempt from backup withholding, enter your name as
described above and check the appropriate box for your status, then
check the “Exempt payee” box in the line following the “Business name/
disregarded entity name,” sign and date the form.
Generally, individuals (including sole proprietors) are not exempt from
backup withholding. Corporations are exempt from backup withholding
for certain payments, such as interest and dividends.
Note. If you are exempt from backup withholding, you should still
complete this form to avoid possible erroneous backup withholding.
The following payees are exempt from backup withholding:
1. An organization exempt from tax under section 501(a), any IRA, or a
custodial account under section 403(b)(7) if the account satisfies the
requirements of section 401(f)(2),
2. The United States or any of its agencies or instrumentalities,
3. A state, the District of Columbia, a possession of the United States,
or any of their political subdivisions or instrumentalities,
4. A foreign government or any of its political subdivisions, agencies,
or instrumentalities, or
5. An international organization or any of its agencies or
Other payees that may be exempt from backup withholding include:
6. A corporation,
7. A foreign central bank of issue,
8. A dealer in securities or commodities required to register in the
United States, the District of Columbia, or a possession of the United
9. A futures commission merchant registered with the Commodity
Futures Trading Commission,
10. A real estate investment trust,
11. An entity registered at all times during the tax year under the
Investment Company Act of 1940,
12. A common trust fund operated by a bank under section 584(a),
13. A financial institution,
14. A middleman known in the investment community as a nominee or
custodian, or
15. A trust exempt from tax under section 664 or described in section
The following chart shows types of payments that may be exempt
from backup withholding. The chart applies to the exempt payees listed
above, 1 through 15.
IF the payment is for . . . THEN the payment is exempt
for . . .
Interest and dividend payments All exempt payees except
for 9
Broker transactions Exempt payees 1 through 5 and 7
through 13. Also, C corporations.
Barter exchange transactions and
patronage dividends
Exempt payees 1 through 5
Payments over $600 required to be
reported and direct sales over
Generally, exempt payees
1 through 7
See Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income, and its instructions.
However, the following payments made to a corporation and reportable on Form
1099-MISC are not exempt from backup withholding: medical and health care
payments, attorneys' fees, gross proceeds paid to an attorney, and payments for
services paid by a federal executive agency.
Part I. Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN)
Enter your TIN in the appropriate box. If you are a resident alien and
you do not have and are not eligible to get an SSN, your TIN is your IRS
individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN). Enter it in the social
security number box. If you do not have an ITIN, see How to get a TIN
If you are a sole proprietor and you have an EIN, you may enter either
your SSN or EIN. However, the IRS prefers that you use your SSN.
If you are a single-member LLC that is disregarded as an entity
separate from its owner (see Limited Liability Company (LLC) on page 2),
enter the owner’s SSN (or EIN, if the owner has one). Do not enter the
disregarded entity’s EIN. If the LLC is classified as a corporation or
partnership, enter the entity’s EIN.
Note. See the chart on page 4 for further clarification of name and TIN
How to get a TIN. If you do not have a TIN, apply for one immediately.
To apply for an SSN, get Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security
Card, from your local Social Security Administration office or get this
form online at You may also get this form by calling
1-800-772-1213. Use Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer
Identification Number, to apply for an ITIN, or Form SS-4, Application for
Employer Identification Number, to apply for an EIN. You can apply for
an EIN online by accessing the IRS website at
and clicking on Employer Identification Number (EIN) under Starting a
Business. You can get Forms W-7 and SS-4 from the IRS by visiting or by calling 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676).
If you are asked to complete Form W-9 but do not have a TIN, write
“Applied For” in the space for the TIN, sign and date the form, and give
it to the requester. For interest and dividend payments, and certain
payments made with respect to readily tradable instruments, generally
you will have 60 days to get a TIN and give it to the requester before you
are subject to backup withholding on payments. The 60-day rule does
not apply to other types of payments. You will be subject to backup
withholding on all such payments until you provide your TIN to the
Note. Entering “Applied For” means that you have already applied for a
TIN or that you intend to apply for one soon.
Caution: A disregarded domestic entity that has a foreign owner must
use the appropriate Form W-8.
Part II. Certification
To establish to the withholding agent that you are a U.S. person, or
resident alien, sign Form W-9. You may be requested to sign by the
withholding agent even if item 1, below, and items 4 and 5 on page 4
indicate otherwise.
For a joint account, only the person whose TIN is shown in Part I
should sign (when required). In the case of a disregarded entity, the
person identified on the “Name” line must sign. Exempt payees, see
Exempt Payee on page 3.
Signature requirements. Complete the certification as indicated in
items 1 through 3, below, and items 4 and 5 on page 4.
1. Interest, dividend, and barter exchange accounts opened
before 1984 and broker accounts considered active during 1983.
You must give your correct TIN, but you do not have to sign the
2. Interest, dividend, broker, and barter exchange accounts
opened after 1983 and broker accounts considered inactive during
1983. You must sign the certification or backup withholding will apply. If
you are subject to backup withholding and you are merely providing
your correct TIN to the requester, you must cross out item 2 in the
certification before signing the form.
3. Real estate transactions. You must sign the certification. You may
cross out item 2 of the certification.
Form W-9 (Rev. 1-2011)
Page 4
4. Other payments. You must give your correct TIN, but you do not
have to sign the certification unless you have been notified that you
have previously given an incorrect TIN. “Other payments” include
payments made in the course of the requester’s trade or business for
rents, royalties, goods (other than bills for merchandise), medical and
health care services (including payments to corporations), payments to
a nonemployee for services, payments to certain fishing boat crew
members and fishermen, and gross proceeds paid to attorneys
(including payments to corporations).
5. Mortgage interest paid by you, acquisition or abandonment of
secured property, cancellation of debt, qualified tuition program
payments (under section 529), IRA, Coverdell ESA, Archer MSA or
HSA contributions or distributions, and pension distributions. You
must give your correct TIN, but you do not have to sign the certification.
What Name and Number To Give the Requester
For this type of account:
Give name and SSN of:
1. Individual
The individual
2. Two or more individuals (joint
The actual owner of the account or,
if combined funds, the first
individual on the account
3. Custodian account of a minor
(Uniform Gift to Minors Act)
The minor
4. a. The usual revocable savings
trust (grantor is also trustee)
b. So-called trust account that is
not a legal or valid trust under
state law
The grantor-trustee
The actual owner
5. Sole proprietorship or disregarded
entity owned by an individual
The owner
6. Grantor trust filing under Optional
Form 1099 Filing Method 1 (see
Regulation section 1.671-4(b)(2)(i)(A))
The grantor*
For this type of account:
Give name and EIN of:
7. Disregarded entity not owned by an
The owner
8. A valid trust, estate, or pension trust
Legal entity
9. Corporation or LLC electing
corporate status on Form 8832 or
Form 2553
The corporation
10. Association, club, religious,
charitable, educational, or other
tax-exempt organization
The organization
11. Partnership or multi-member LLC
The partnership
12. A broker or registered nominee
The broker or nominee
13. Account with the Department of
Agriculture in the name of a public
entity (such as a state or local
government, school district, or
prison) that receives agricultural
program payments
The public entity
14. Grantor trust filing under the Form
1041 Filing Method or the Optional
Form 1099 Filing Method 2 (see
Regulation section 1.671-4(b)(2)(i)(B))
The trust
List first and circle the name of the person whose number you furnish. If only one person on a
joint account has an SSN, that person’s number must be furnished.
Circle the minor’s name and furnish the minor’s SSN.
You must show your individual name and you may also enter your business or “DBA” name on
the “Business name/disregarded entity” name line. You may use either your SSN or EIN (if you
have one), but the IRS encourages you to use your SSN.
List first and circle the name of the trust, estate, or pension trust. (Do not furnish the TIN of the
personal representative or trustee unless the legal entity itself is not designated in the account
title.) Also see Special rules for partnerships on page 1.
*Note. Grantor also must provide a Form W-9 to trustee of trust.
Note. If no name is circled when more than one name is listed, the
number will be considered to be that of the first name listed.
Secure Your Tax Records from Identity Theft
Identity theft occurs when someone uses your personal information
such as your name, social security number (SSN), or other identifying
information, without your permission, to commit fraud or other crimes.
An identity thief may use your SSN to get a job or may file a tax return
using your SSN to receive a refund.
To reduce your risk:
• Protect your SSN,
• Ensure your employer is protecting your SSN, and
• Be careful when choosing a tax preparer.
If your tax records are affected by identity theft and you receive a
notice from the IRS, respond right away to the name and phone number
printed on the IRS notice or letter.
If your tax records are not currently affected by identity theft but you
think you are at risk due to a lost or stolen purse or wallet, questionable
credit card activity or credit report, contact the IRS Identity Theft Hotline
at 1-800-908-4490 or submit Form 14039.
For more information, see Publication 4535, Identity Theft Prevention
and Victim Assistance.
Victims of identity theft who are experiencing economic harm or a
system problem, or are seeking help in resolving tax problems that have
not been resolved through normal channels, may be eligible for
Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) assistance. You can reach TAS by
calling the TAS toll-free case intake line at 1-877-777-4778 or TTY/TDD
Protect yourself from suspicious emails or phishing schemes.
Phishing is the creation and use of email and websites designed to
mimic legitimate business emails and websites. The most common act
is sending an email to a user falsely claiming to be an established
legitimate enterprise in an attempt to scam the user into surrendering
private information that will be used for identity theft.
The IRS does not initiate contacts with taxpayers via emails. Also, the
IRS does not request personal detailed information through email or ask
taxpayers for the PIN numbers, passwords, or similar secret access
information for their credit card, bank, or other financial accounts.
If you receive an unsolicited email claiming to be from the IRS,
forward this message to You may also report misuse
of the IRS name, logo, or other IRS property to the Treasury Inspector
General for Tax Administration at 1-800-366-4484. You can forward
suspicious emails to the Federal Trade Commission at:
or contact them at or 1-877-IDTHEFT
Visit to learn more about identity theft and how to reduce
your risk.
Privacy Act Notice
Section 6109 of the Internal Revenue Code requires you to provide your correct TIN to persons (including federal agencies) who are required to file information returns with
the IRS to report interest, dividends, or certain other income paid to you; mortgage interest you paid; the acquisition or abandonment of secured property; the cancellation
of debt; or contributions you made to an IRA, Archer MSA, or HSA. The person collecting this form uses the information on the form to file information returns with the IRS,
reporting the above information. Routine uses of this information include giving it to the Department of Justice for civil and criminal litigation and to cities, states, the District
of Columbia, and U.S. possessions for use in administering their laws. The information also may be disclosed to other countries under a treaty, to federal and state agencies
to enforce civil and criminal laws, or to federal law enforcement and intelligence agencies to combat terrorism. You must provide your TIN whether or not you are required to
file a tax return. Under section 3406, payers must generally withhold a percentage of taxable interest, dividend, and certain other payments to a payee who does not give a
TIN to the payer. Certain penalties may also apply for providing false or fraudulent information.