DR 0004 (11/05/21)
COLORADO DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE
Worksheet 1: Withholding Allowance
This worksheet is optional. You may complete the
Colorado Employee Withholding Certificate without
completing this worksheet. Complete this worksheet only
if you want to adjust your Colorado withholding for one or
both of the following reasons:
1. You expect to claim additional federal deductions and/
or the Colorado child tax credit; or
2. You (and your spouse, if filing jointly) have multiple jobs
but earn more income from one job.
To use the electronic DR 0004 Withholding Calculator, go
You (and your spouse, if filing jointly) only need to complete
this worksheet once regardless of your number of jobs.
However, you will need to give a separate Colorado
Employee Withholding Certificate to each of your employers.
Do not give this worksheet to your employers.
For more information about itemized deductions, see IRS
Topic No. 501. For more information about qualifying for the
child tax credit, see IRS Publication 972. Please note that
the Colorado child tax credit is allowed for qualifying children
who do not have a work-eligible social security number.
1. Enter the amount of income you (and your spouse, if filing jointly) expect to receive this year
from all sources.
2. Enter your Standard Allowance, based on your expected filing status from IRS Form W-4 Step 1(c):
a. $10,500 if single or married filing separately;
b. $16,500 if head of household; or
c. $23,000 if married filing jointly or qualifying widow(er).
3. Enter the amount from IRS Form W-4 Step 4(b), if any, which is your estimated federal
deductions that exceed the standard deduction.
4. Enter your Child Tax Credit Allowance from Table 2 below.
If you do not want to reduce your withholding for the Colorado child tax credit, you may enter
zero on this line, even if you expect to claim the credit.
5. Add Lines 2, 3, and 4. This is your Total Withholding Allowance. $
6. Enter the number of jobs that you (and your spouse, if filing jointly) currently have.
7. Divide Line 5 by Line 6. This is your Annual Withholding Allowance for each job.
a. If you (and your spouse, if filing jointly) have multiple jobs but earn most of your income from one job, you may want
to divide the Total Withholding Allowance on Line 5 unevenly between your jobs. For example, if you earn 75% of
your income from one job, you could use 75% of Line 5 for that job and the remaining 25% of Line 5 for your other
job(s). If you choose to divide Line 5 unevenly, you will need to complete a separate Colorado Employee Withholding
Certificate for each job.
b. If you want a greater amount withheld, you may enter a smaller amount than your calculation.
Enter the amount you choose on Line 2 of your Colorado Employee Withholding Certificate.
Table 2: Child Tax Credit Allowance
Go down the first column to your expected filing status from IRS Form W-4 Step 1(c).
Then select the corresponding row in the second column with your expected income from Line 1 of Worksheet 1.
Finally, go across that row to the column with your number of qualifying children.
Filing Status from IRS
Form W-4 Step 1(c)
Income from Line 1
of Worksheet 1
Allowance for Qualifying Children Under Age 6 on December 31 of this year:
1 Child 2 Children 3 or More Children
Single, Married Filing
Separately, or Head of
$0 - $25,000 $9,000 $13,000 $11,500
$25,001 - $50,000 $7,000 $13,000 $17,000
$50,001 - $75,000 $2,500 $5,000 $7,000
$75,001 or more $0 $0 $0
Married Filing Jointly or
$0 - $35,000 $10,000 $17,500 $20,000
$35,001 - $60,000 $7,000 $14,000 $19,000
$60,001 - $85,000 $2,500 $5,000 $7,000
$85,001 or more $0 $0 $0