The Minnesota Energy Programs Application is available in Spanish or in large print from your Service Provider or online at
This application is used to apply for these programs:
Energy Assistance Program (EAP)
Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP)
Conservation Improvement Program (CIP)
How to fill out this application
Read all the information in this application.
Fill in all the information for everyone living in your home. ALL people living in the home are household members if they share the
kitchen or other living areas in the home.
Complete and turn in the application, income proof, and other documents to your Service Provider.
We must have the complete application to determine if you qualify for help.
If you need help filling out this application, call your local EAP Service Provider. Their telephone number is listed on the first
page of the Minnesota Energy Programs Application.
Si necesita ayuda para completar esta solicitud, comuníquese con su proveedor de servicio del PAE local. El número de teléfono
se encuentra en la primera hoja de la solicitud de los Programas de Energía de Minnesota.
Haddii aad uga baahan tahay caawin buuxinta codsigan, wax Bixiyahaaga Adeega EAP ee maxaliga ah. Lambarka taleefankooda
wuxuu ku qoran yahay bogga koowaad ee Codsiga Barnaamijyada Tamarta ee Minnesota.
Yog koj xav tau kev pab sau daim ntawv thov no, hu rau Tus Neeg Muab Kev Pab EAP hauv koj cheeb tsam. Lawv tus xov tooj
yog teev rau ntawm thawj nplooj ntawv ntawm Daim Ntawv Thov Minnesota Cov Khoo Kas Pab Them Nqi Hluav Taws Xob.
Nếu quý v cn h tr để điền vào đơn đăng ký này, hãy gi cho Nhà Cung Cp Dch V EAP ti đa phương ca quý v. S điện
thoi ca các nhà cung cp được lit kê trên trang đu tiên ca Đơn Đăng Ký Chương Trình Năng ng Minnesota.
Send income proof
Send proof of all gross income received by all people in your household in the last 3 full calendar months before the month you sign
your application. Send copies, originals will not be returned.
signed in:
Send proof of gross
income received in:
Household income cannot be more than
these income guidelines for 3 months:
August 2021
May, June, July 2021
Household Size
September 2021
June, July, Aug 2021
October 2021
July, Aug, Sept 2021
November 2021
Aug, Sept, Oct 2021
December 2021
Sept, Oct, Nov 2021
January 2022
Oct, Nov, Dec 2021
February 2022
Nov, Dec 2021, Jan 2022
March 2022
Dec 2021, Jan, Feb 2022
April 2022
Jan, Feb, March, 2022
May 2022
Feb, March, April 2022
What proof to send
Wages: EAP may use your SSN to verify wages reported by your employer. We may ask you to provide check stubs or other
verification if we are unable to verify your wages.
MFIP, GA, DWP: County statement showing monthly amount or bank statements.
Spousal Support or Alimony: Check copies, bank statements, or a note signed by the payor stating the payment amount and dates,
or other proof of amount received.
Veteran’s Benefits, Social Security, RSDI and SSI: Award letters, bank statements showing direct deposits, or check copies.
Workers’ Compensation, Short Term and Long Term Disability: Benefit award notice, copies of workers’ compensation or disability
checks, workers’ compensation records, or attorney’s records.
Unemployment Compensation: EAP may verify this income for you.
Self-Employed, Farm, and Rental Income: The first 2 pages of your most recent IRS-1040 tax return and Schedule 1. If you did not
file taxes, call your Service Provider and ask for a Self-Employment Form.
Interest, Dividends: Bank statements, IRS-1099, or IRS-1040.
Retirement Income including IRA income: Benefit checks/stubs, bank statements or award letter.
Pensions and Annuities: Benefit checks/stubs, bank statements or award letter.
Tribal Per Capita, Bonus, or Judgment Payments: Benefit checks/stubs, bank statements or award letter.
No Income: If your household has no income and no one is self-employed, call your Service Provider.
**Please send copies of your income proof. Originals will not be returned**
What happens next?
Your local Service Provider will review your application and contact you if they need additional information.
If they have all the necessary information, your Service Provider will process the application as quickly as possible, and you will
receive a letter telling you if you can get help.
If approved, we will pay your benefit to the companies listed on your application.
If denied, we will tell you the reason and how you may reapply or appeal the decision.
Energy emergency help
The Energy Assistance Program may be able to help if you have an energy emergency. Contact your Service Provider if:
You have a past due energy bill that you cannot pay
Your heat or electric is shut off or will be shut-off
You are unable to get a fuel delivery
You own your home and your furnace is not working
Social Security Numbers (SSNs)
SSNs are required for all applicants unless you are applying as an eligible non-citizen (for example, a permanent resident, asylee, refugee,
etc.). If you do not provide valid social security numbers or immigration documents, we cannot process your application. If you are an eligible
non-citizen, you may be able to apply without an SSN. Contact your Service Provider to find out the required documents. If you or some
members of your household are ineligible non-citizens, your household may still get help if any household member is a citizen or eligible non-
citizen. Contact your Service Provider for details. The State will use SSNs in the administration of EAP to check identity, prevent duplicate
participation, and determine eligibility for public benefits. Your SSN will also be used to obtain wage and unemployment compensation
information from the Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development (DEED), verify information you give us on the
application, and to prevent, detect, and correct fraud, waste, and abuse.
Non-Citizen Applicants
To get help from Minnesota Energy Programs, you must be a citizen or in the United States (US) legally. Energy Assistance benefits are not
counted in public charge determinations. You can apply and get help for eligible household members, even if you or some household
members are not eligible because of immigration status. Members of your household who are eligible non-citizens must show proof of their
immigration status. Give a copy of both sides of immigration cards or other documents that show immigration status for every household
member who is an eligible non-citizen. All household members, regardless of immigration or citizenship status, must provide their income
information, but only those who are citizens or eligible non-citizens will be counted as household members. Contact your Service Provider to
find out what is required for your situation. We do not share information about you with the US Citizenship and Immigration Services
(USCIS) without your permission.
Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) Income Eligibility Guidelines
You may be eligible for the Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) even if your household’s income is higher than the EAP limits. WAP
provides free home energy upgrades to income-eligible homeowners and renters to help save energy and make your home a healthy and
safe place to live. For information, visit https://mn.gov/commerce/consumers/consumer-assistance/weatherization
or call 1-800-657-3710
Cold Weather Rule Protection
If you use natural gas or electricity to heat your home or you need electricity to operate your thermostat or furnace fan, you may be eligible
for Cold Weather Rule protection between October 1 and April 30.
The Cold Weather Rule helps protect your service from disconnection or can help you get your service reconnected.
To get Cold Weather Rule protection, you MUST contact your energy companies and make and keep a payment plan. If you miss a
payment, you lose your protection and you could lose your heat.
If you receive Energy Assistance, you pre-qualify for Cold Weather Rule protection. The Energy Assistance Program is not a payment
plan and will not replace what you need to pay.
Your Service Provider can help you make a reasonable payment plan with your energy companies.
For office use only
Referral ____________
Grant amount:__________
Please use black ink to complete your application. Do not use highlighters on the documents you send.
Before completing this application, carefully read the enclosed “Your Rights and Responsibilities” and Instructions.
Part 1. Personal Information - Verify all preprinted information is correct. Enter changes as needed.
Social security numbers (SSN) are required for all household members and will be verified
If a valid SSN is not available, another form of documentation is required
If any household members are ineligible non-citizens, your household may still receive
assistance if at least 1 household member is a citizen or eligible non-citizen
We use your SSN to get wage and unemployment compensation information
Your Legal Name: MM DD YYYY
First Name M.I. Last Name Date of Birth
Current Address Where You Live
House Number and Street Apt #
MN ..
City State Zip Code County
Mailing Address (if different from address where you live):
Street or PO Box Apt #
City State Zip Code
. Phone: Primary: . Mobile Other: .
Email Address: To contact me in writing, I prefer: US Mail (letter) Email
Authorized Representative: If you complete this section, the “Authorized Representative” has permission to act for you.
Name Last
Name Phone
If you want the
Authorized Representative
to get mail on your behalf, add their address here:
. .
Street or PO Box
Apt # City State Zip Code
To use this fillable Energy Assistance application form:
1. Type your answers into the fillable fields. Use the instructions to help complete the application.
2. Next:
- Either print out, sign and date a hard copy of your complete application (to mail/deliver),
- Email the completed fillable application along with a picture of the handwritten text and
signature below, electronically submitted along with a completed fillable PDF application.
I, [printed name] intend for my signature below to be used only in conjunction with the attached
ENERGY PROGRAMS APPLICATION. By signing below, I agree to all elements of the attached application.
[Signature], [Date]
3. To find your local Energy Assistance Program provider, call 1-800-657-3710 or see this list of
providers by County or Tribe.
4. Email, mail or deliver the complete application and any required documents to your local
Energy Assistance Program provider.
Please note: this
fillable .pdf form is not
accessible when using a
screen reader program.
Your local Energy
Assistance provider can
help you complete the
Your application will be delayed if
you do not include all required proof
of income.
Part 2. Household Information
LIST ALL HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS, STARTING WITH YOU (non-custodial parents may include their minor children):
Social Sec
urity Number
Legal Name
First M.I. Last
Date of Birth
Number of
write in
Pat T. Smith
- -
- -
- -
- -
- -
- -
- -
- -
Attach a separate sheet if necessary for any additional household members.
A = Asian B = Black or African American I = American Indian or Alaska Native
P = Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander W = White M = Multi Race O = Other
Is anyone in your household currently an employee or board member of this energy assistance agency? Yes No
How many people live in your home? How many do NOT have health insurance? .
Has any household members’ income decreased in the past 3 months? Yes No If yes, whose .
Income, benefits, and other assistance: Check all that apply for everyone in your household and send proof.
Self-Employment*/Farm Income*
Date Business started: / .
*Send first 2 pages of your most recent IRS-1040 tax return
and Schedule 1
Unemployment Compensation
Interest or Dividend Income
Rental Income
Workers’ Compensation
Contract for Deed Interest
Social Security Benefits (SSDI, RSDI, SSA)
Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Pension/Annuity (including quarterly & annual)
Retirement Income (including IRA, etc.)
Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP)
General Assistance (GA)
Veterans’ Benefits
Tribal Per Capita Payments
Tribal Judgments or Tribal Bonus
Long/Short-term Disability
Alimony or Spousal Support
Diversionary Work (DWP)
No proof of income required:
Child Support - Monthly amount $
Food Support
Earned Income Tax Credit
No Income: Please call your service provider.
Other Assistance
Other income not listed: .
Contact your
energy company
to set up a
payment plan.
Part 3. Housing Information
Type of Housing:
Mobile Home
How long have you
lived in your current
Do you pay for rent or mortgage?
No If yes, amount you pay: $
Do you get a rent subsidy or do you live in subsidized housing?
Is heat or electricity included in your rent? Check those that apply:
Heat Electric
Landlord Information
Name: .
Street or PO Box Apt#
City State Zip Code .
Do you own or are you buying your home? Yes No
If your furnace/heating system is currently NOT working, check this box:
Call your service provider immediately if your furnace/heating system is not working.
Business Use of Home: If you are self-employed, is the business at your home? Yes No
If Yes, what kind of business and what work is done in your home or on your property?
Do you rent part of your home to anyone? Yes No
Part 4.
Energy Providers
What companies supply heat, electricity, and water* to your home?
Send a copy of your last bills and/or fuel receipt with this application.
*Help may be
available if you have a
past due water bill.
Main Heating
Other Heating
Solar Garden
and F
Natural Gas Propane
Natural Gas Propane
Heat with electric
Name on
We will split your benefit between your main heating company and electric company.
OPTIONAL: If you want your benefit paid differently, please indicate below:
All to electric Other:
All to main heating
Do you share your fuel tank or energy meter with another household? Yes No
If you heat with wood or other biofuel:
Biofuel you use -
What percent of your heat does this supply?
How many bedrooms are in your home? .
Do you supply your own wood/corn? Yes No
Energy or Water Emergency
If you have an emergency right now or cannot pay your past due bill, check the type of situation below and send a copy of the notice:
Disconnect Date:
Received d
Date Scheduled:
Cannot pay past due balance
Fuel tank empty (or less
tank). What % is in your tank today:
Additional Information
Do you want information about how free home improvements through the Weatherization Assistance Program may help health
conditions like asthma, COPD, other respiratory ailments, heart disease or other chronic conditions?
Yes No
Do you want to register to vote or update your registration if you have moved? Yes No
If you listed a mobile device, do you want to receive text messages about the Energy Assistance Program or other programs?
Yes No
How did you hear about the Energy Assistance Program?
Friends/Family Newspaper Radio Landlord
Veteran’s Office
Nursing Services State or County Website Utility/Fuel Provider Other . County Worker
t 5. Consent and Signature for October 1, 2021 to September 30, 2022
1. I give my consent for my heating, electric, and water companies to give data about my account and energy and water use to
Department of Commerce (Commerce) and Commerce’s contractors for the Energy Assistance Program
(EAP), the Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) and the Conservation Improvement Program (CIP).
2. I authorize the Social Security Administration, the Minnesota Department of Human Services and its affiliated agencies, and
the Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development to share data concerning my Social Security
Number, public benefits received, and income within the last year for eligibility for benefits with Commerce and
Commerce’s contractors for EAP, WAP and CIP.
3. I authorize Minnesota EAP, WAP, and CIP to:
Contact my employer to verify my income.
Contact my landlord to confirm my residency and/or heating source if I am a renter.
4. I authorize my EAP, WAP and CIP Service Providers to contact me for outreach and referral.
5. By signing, I affirm that all data in this application is correct. I also acknowledge that:
I currently reside at the address listed on this application.
I am signing on behalf of all household members.
I may have to prove my statements.
I may be held civilly or criminally liable under federal or state law for knowingly making false or fraudulent statements.
I have rights under EAP, WAP, and CIP. I have received a copy of thePrivacy Notice and Your Rights and
Responsibilities” and agree to its terms and conditions.
I may appeal local Energy Programs Service Provider decisions about my benefits.
I understand that missing information will delay determining if I qualify for help.
I understand that my Service Provider may be able to help pay past due energy bills and/or make a payment plan with
my energy companies.
I understand that filling out this application does not guarantee that my household will receive assistance.
I am an adult, emancipated minor, or a minor head of a household with no adults or emancipated minors.
All applications must be postmarked or received by EAP on or before May 31, 2022.
Your application must be postmarked or received within 60 days of the date you sign it.
Apply early, funds may run out.
Print Name: .
Signature: Today’s Date: .
Privacy Notice and Your Rights and Responsibilities
Privacy Notice
Privacy Act Provisions: Federal and state laws require us to tell you about your rights and responsibilities before we
collect and use information about you that is classified as private or confidential. This form provides you with important
information that complies with the federal Privacy Act of 1974, 5 U.S.C. § 552a(e)(3) and the Minnesota Government Data
Practices Act, Minn. Stat. § 13.04, subd. 2 (also referred to as a Tennessen Warning).
Please read this Privacy Notice carefully before completing and signing the Minnesota Energy Programs Application, and
keep this Privacy Notice in your records for future use. This Privacy Notice applies to the Energy Assistance Program (EAP),
Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) and Conservation Improvement Program (CIP), also known as Energy Programs.
Why do we collect the information on the application?
We will use your information to research, evaluate and administer the Energy
Programs. We need the information:
To know you from other individuals.
To see if you qualify for assistance.
To allow us to get federal or state funds for the assistance you receive.
To meet federal or state reporting requirements.
Do you have to give us the information?
You have the right to not give us the information we ask for.
What happens if you give or do not give us information?
If you give us the information requested on the application, your application will be processed. If you do not give us that information:
Your application will not be processed.
You might not receive services.
You might not receive help with energy bills.
Your services might be delayed.
We will keep whatever information you give us, whether or not your application is approved.
Who may see this information?
The following persons may receive information contained in your Energy Programs application if: (i) they need access to the application
information to do their jobs in connection with the Energy Programs (EAP, WAP, and CIP), or (ii) they are otherwise authorized by federal
or state law to receive it, or (iii) they use the information for reports, to measure outcomes, and for referrals and eligibility purposes:
Local Energy Programs Service Providers under contract with the Minnesota Department of Commerce (Commerce).
Community Services Block Grant and Minnesota Community Action Grant Service Providers under contract with Commerce.
Program auditors as required or permitted by Office of Management and Budget (OMB) guidance.
Minnesota Departments of Administration, Commerce, Employment and Economic Development, Health, Housing
Finance Agency, Human Services, Revenue and
MN.IT Services.
United States Departments of Health and Human Services and Energy.
Minnesota Public Utilities Commission.
Minnesota Legislative Auditor.
Persons so authorized pursuant to court order.
Your energy companies for affordability and Energy Programs.
Minnesota Community Action Partnership.
United States Social Security Administration.
Other agencies or entities as allowed by federal or state law.
Why do we collect Social Security Numbers?
We use Social Security Numbers in the administration of the Energy Programs (EAP, WAP, and CIP) to assure eligible
applicants and their household members receive only allowable benefits. Federal law allows us to require you to disclose your
Social Security Number in order to process your application and to prevent, detect and correct fraud and abuse. AUTHORITY:
Section 205(c)(2)(C)(i) of the Social Security Act, 42 U.S.C. § 405(c)(2)(C)(i). All applicants (except eligible non-citizens) are
required to provide a verifiable Social Security Number in order to process your application.
Why do we ask for information about your race?
This is voluntary information. It is compiled and recorded for statistical purposes only. The program cannot discriminate for
reason of race or ethnic background, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or political affiliation.
Your Rights and Responsibilities
You have certain rights to get help:
You have the right:
To apply again if you get denied.
To apply for more help if you need it.
To know what the rules are and how we decide what help you get.
To receive a response within a reasonable time of submitting all information.
To appeal within 30 days after you are sent the results of your application if:
You receive a denial letter and think we used the wrong information to make the decision.
You do not receive the help you were promised.
You have these responsibilities:
You must tell us if you or any member of your household:
Received help with your energy bills earlier this winter.
Move to a new address (tell us within 30 days of the move).
Change your fuel dealer or gas or electric companies.
This program may pay only part of your heating and electric bills. You are responsible to pay the rest.
What if you think the information in your file is wrong?
Talk to your local EAP Service Provider about what you think is wrong in your file.
What happens if you give false information?
The local EAP Service Providers or the Minnesota Department of Commerce may check and verify any of the
information contained on your application or otherwise provided. You may be denied Energy Program benefits if you
provide incomplete or false information. You may be held civilly or criminally liable under federal or state law for
knowingly making false or fraudulent statements on your application.
How to submit a complaint:
If you think your energy payment was not what it should be or you did not get the services you thought you would,
you may contact the local EAP Service Provider listed on the application. If you are not satisfied with their answer,
you may write an appeal letter to the local EAP Service Provider. Keep a record of their address and telephone
If you are not satisfied with their response to your appeal, write to:
Appeals Officer
Energy Assistance Program
Minnesota Department of Commerce
85 East 7th Place, Suite 280
St. Paul, MN 55101-2198
If you feel you have been treated differently because of your color, race, national origin, religion, sex, gender, age,
marital status, political beliefs, or physical, mental or emotional disability, write to one of the following:
Minnesota Department of Human Rights
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Grigg’s Midway Building
Office for Civil Rights, Region V
540 Fairview Ave. N, Suite 201
233 North Michigan Avenue, Suite 1300
St. Paul, MN 55104
Chicago, IL 60601