Requirements for Transferring Data Year over Year
Tax professionals must provide confirmation of these pre-populated data elements prior to completing
the tax return:
• State driver’s license data elements.
• State withholding account numbers.
• PTIN entered at product registration.
Software Provider Requirements
As a software provider, you agree to:
• Be approved by the IRS as an electronic transmitter.
• Review and comply with the software providers registration and standards listed on our
• Submit software test returns and corresponding PDFs for approval in the form and manner
prescribed by the agency.
o Resubmit software test returns and corresponding PDFs if correcting errors.
• Create all e-file ATS and substitute forms tests that you submit during the approval
process in the actual software.
• Submit for approval all forms included in your software in a PDF format using the 2020
Transmittal for Substitute Form Approval to Efile.FormApproval@state.mn.us.
• Include the Minnesota assigned software ID number on all forms according to requirements.
• Provide printer-friendly forms to your customers and include PDF printer-setting instructions
according to our specifications listed on our website
• Follow voucher specifications listed on our website.
• Submit all returns as “linked returns” if a corresponding federal return was submitted; unless
otherwise directed by the department.
• Notify the department if any forms you support are not ready when your software is
available for use. You will need to advise customers that the forms are not available and
include a date on which the forms will be available.
• Notify the department immediately when errors in your software affect Minnesota taxpayers.
Do not submit returns with known errors. Notify your Minnesota customers and the
department as soon as you have corrected the errors.
• Provide timely updates, corrections, and technical support for software to ensure the accuracy
of Minnesota tax returns.
• Transmit taxpayer submissions on a regular basis. Notify the department and your customers if
you are holding any Minnesota returns.
• Contact the department to address issues, answer questions, and maintain open
• Send a copy of all general communications you send to your Minnesota software customers to
• Authorize the department to feature your company in materials identifying you as a certified
• Pass certification testing, substitute forms approval, and fraud leads reporting testing for each
product according to requirements.
• Ensure all returns transmitted from this software be electronically filed or printed from the
approved software or a subsequent product update.