* This form must be submitted by the priority deadline to ensure a determination of eligibility before the Fee Due Date. Students may still apply
for aid after the priority deadlines, but EFSC cannot guarantee that late submissions will be notified of aid eligibility prior to the Fee Due Date.
2020-21 Dependency Questions
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) asks a series of questions to determine if you can be considered an
independent student (i.e. not have to submit parental information). EFSC requires documentation to confirm the status
you indicated on the FAFSA.
Priority Deadlines*: Fall 2020 – 07/23/20 | Spring 2021 – 11/30/20 | Summer 2021 – 04/22/21
A. Student Information
Last Name First Name M.I. Student ID
B. Dependency Status
Please select the appropriate status and provide the documentation listed. Required documentation must be
provided before your situation can be considered for independent status.
☐ I was adopted before the age of 13.
• Students who are adopted before the age of 13 do not qualify for Independent Status based on
• You must include your adoptive parent’s information on the FAFSA unless other extenuating
circumstances exist. Please speak with a Financial Aid Specialist if you have any questions.
☐ I was adopted after the age of 13.
• Attach documentation confirming the date of your adoption.
☐ I was a foster child or ward of the court at any time since the age of 13.
• Attach a copy of the official court document showing the court decision occurred after the age of 13 OR
• Attach your Tuition and Fee Exemption Form from the Florida Department of Children and Families.
☐ I was in a legal guardianship when I reached the age of majority in my state.
• Attach a copy of your permanent legal guardianship court document.
☐ I was an orphan at any time since the age of 13.
• Attach a copy of the death certificates for both parents.
☐ I was an emancipated minor when I reached the age of majority in my state.
• Attach a copy of your emancipation as determined by a court of law.
☐ I was determined to be an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or self-supporting and at risk of being
homeless at any time since July 1, 2019. Check one box below.
☐ Attached is a letter from a School District Liaison dated after July 1, 2019.
☐ Attached is a letter from the director (or designee) of an emergency shelter or transitional housing
program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development dated after July 1, 2019.
☐ Attached is a letter from the director (or designee) of a runaway or homeless youth basic center o
ransitional living program dated after July 1, 2019.
☐ I was deemed homeless in a prior year for financial aid purposes.
☐ Attached is a typed, signed letter explaining my current housing situation and how am I handling my
☐ None of the descriptions above apply to me.
• Speak with a Financial Aid Specialist about your specific situation to determine next steps.