2020-2021 Verification of 2018 Income Information for Parent Nontax Filers
Please return this completed form to Indian Hills Community College along with any other requested materials:
Fax: 641.683.5741│ Mail: IHCC Financial Aid Office, 525 Grandview Ave, Ottumwa, IA 52501
or bring to One Stop/Bennett Student Services Building
You can check your financial aid document status, print required forms, and view your financial aid award information (once available) on WebAdvisor.
Student’s Name
Student’s ID Number
The instructions and certifications below apply to each parent included in the household. Complete this section if the
parents will not file and are not required
to file a 2018 income tax return with the IRS.
Check the box that applies:
Neither parent was employed, and neither had income earned from work in 2018 and will not file and are not
required to file a 2018 income tax return with the IRS.
One or both parents were employed in 2018 and have listed below the names of all employers, the amount
earned from each employer in 2018, and whether an IRS W-2 form or an equivalent document is provided and will
not file and are not required to file a 2018 income tax return with the IRS. [Provide copies of all 2018 IRS W-2
forms issued to the parents by their employers]. If you are unable to provide all of your 2018 W-2’s, you will need
to submit a 2018 IRS Wage and Income Transcript. Request a Wage and Income Transcript from the IRS at:
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript]. List every employer even if the employer did not issue an IRS W-2
form. List every employer even if the employer did not issue an IRS W-2 form.
If more space is needed, provide a separate page with the student’s name and ID number at the top.
Parent Name
Employer’s Name
Annual Amount
Earned in 2018
Check if self-
employed income
i.e. babysitting,
mowing, etc.
(Example) John Smith
(Example) ABC’s Auto Body Shop
Parents of dependent students who did not file must also submit a “Verification of Nonfiling (VNF) Letter” from
the IRS dated on or after October 1, 2019. This letter is available using the Get Transcript Online tool available on
IRS.gov or by sending IRS Form 4506-T and checking box 7 and list the date 12/31/2018 on line 9. The Get Transcript
Online tool allows the user to immediately receive an online PDF version of their IRS verification of non-filing. Note: A
dependent student who is a nontax filer is excluded from the requirement to provide verification of the dependent
student's nonfiling status from the IRS or other relevant tax authority.
Certifications and Signatures
Each person signing below certifies that all of the
information reported is complete and correct.
The student and one parent whose information was
reported on the FAFSA must sign and date.
Electronic signatures will not be accepted.
____________________________________________________ ________________________
Student’s Signature (Required) Date
____________________________________________________ ________________________
Parent’s Signature (Required) Date
misleading information, you may be
fined, sent to prison, or both.
If you're unable to provide your 2018 Form W-2
The quickest way to obtain a copy of your current year Form W-2 is through your employer. If you can't get your Form W-2
from your employer, you can get a wage and income transcript by using Get Transcript Online at
www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript. You can also use Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return. Check the
box for Form W-2, specify which tax year(s) you need, and mail or fax to the appropriate address listed in the Where To
File instructions. Allow 5 to 10 days from the IRS received date to receive the transcript.
Table 1.2018 Filing Requirements Chart for Most Taxpayers
IF your filing status is...
AND at the end of 2018
you were...*
THEN file a return if your gross income was at least...
under 65
65 or older
head of household
under 65
65 or older
married, filing jointly
under 65 (both spouses)
65 or older (one spouse)
65 or older (both
married, filing separately
any age
qualifying widow(er)
under 65
65 or older
* If you were born before January 2, 1954, you're considered to be 65 or older at the end of 2018. (If your spouse died in
2018, see Death of spouse, later. If you're preparing a return for someone who died in 2018, see Death of taxpayer,
** Gross income means all income you receive in the form of money, goods, property, and services that isn't exempt
from tax, including any income from sources outside the United States or from the sale of your main home (even if you
can exclude part or all of it). Don't include any social security benefits unless (a) you're married filing a separate return
and you lived with your spouse at any time during 2018 or (b) one-half of your social security benefits plus your other
gross income and any tax-exempt interest is more than $25,000 ($32,000 if married filing jointly). If (a) or (b) applies, see
the Form 1040 instructions to figure the taxable part of social security benefits you must include in gross income. Gross
income includes gains, but not losses, reported on Form 8949 or Schedule D. Gross income from a business means, for
example, the amount on Schedule C, line 7, or Schedule F, line 9. But in figuring gross income, don't reduce your
income by any losses, including any loss on Schedule C, line 7, or Schedule F, line 9.
*** If you didn't live with your spouse at the end of 2018 (or on the date your spouse died) and your gross income was at
least $5, you must file a return regardless of your age.