937.328.6034 | ﬁnancialaid@clarkstate.edu | 570 East Leel Lane, Springﬁeld, Ohio 45505
1. File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at
Students and parents must create a FSA ID as an electronic signature. The FSA ID will also be used
later on to sign the PLUS loan application and promissory note.)
2. Submit any requested documents to the Financial Aid Office and review the final student financial
3. Determine if you are eligible for a Parent PLUS loan. Eligibility requirements include: You must be
the biological or adoptive parent of a current student.
a. You must be the biological or adoptive parent of a current student
b. Your child must be a dependent undergrad enrolled at least half-time (6 or more
credit hours) each semester you want to borrow PLUS loan funds
c. Your child must meet all other financial aid eligibility requirements including meeting
Satisfactory Academic Progress
d. You must not be in default on any federal student loans
e. Your credit must not be “adverse”
4. Calculate how much you can borrow. The student financial aid award letter includes a Budget. The
Budget represents average costs for tuition, fees, books, housing and miscellaneous expenses. The
combination of all financial aid awards cannot exceed the Budget. You can borrow Parent PLUS
loan funds in an amount that does not exceed the difference between the Budget and all other
5. Complete a Parent PLUS loan application at www.StudentLoans.gov. The information you submit
will be provided to Clark State in 2-3 business days. If your application is denied, you can reapply
with an endorser OR your student can contact the Financial Aid Office to apply for additional
Unsubsidized Direct Loan for students. The amount of the additional Unsubsidized loan can vary
but, added to other financial aid, cannot exceed the Budget listed on the financial aid award letter.
6. Complete the Clark State Parent PLUS Supplemental Form. This form is available on the Financial
Aid Forms webpage at www.clarkstate.edu. This application confirms the amount you want to
borrow and the semesters to apply the loan funds.
7. Complete a Parent PLUS Master Promissory Note at www.StudentLoans.gov.
Your student will receive notiﬁcation that the ﬁnancial aid award was revised to include the
approved Parent PLUS loan. Parents will receive a disclosure notice from the U.S. Department of
Education that includes the loan amount, loan origination fees, disbursement amounts and dates.
For more information please see:
Federal Student Loans: Direct PLUS Loan Basics for Parents at www.studentaid.gov.
Steps to Apply and Accept the Parent PLUS Loan