Financial Aid Office P.O. Box 309 Jamestown, NC 27282
Phone: 336.334.4822 Option 3 Fax: 336.217.8468
2018-2019 Head of Household Filer Status Verification Form
Student Name: _____________________________________________________ GTCC ID: __________________________
Head of Household Definition
You/your parent may be able to file as head of household if you meet all the following requirements.
1. You/your parent are unmarried or “considered unmarried” on the last day of the year. See below for
definition of “considered unmarried”.
2. You/your parent paid more than half the cost of keeping up a home for the year.
3. A qualifying person lived with you/your parent in the home for more than half the year (except for
temporary absences, such as school), unless it is your dependent parent, then he or she doesn't have to live
If someone is married, they can be “considered unmarried” for tax purposes and still file as head of household. Under IRS rules in
IRS Publication 17, an individual is "considered unmarried" if that individual meets all of the following conditions:
1. The tax filer files a separate return;
2. The tax filer paid more than half the costs of “keeping up a home” for the tax year;
3. The tax filer’s spouse did not live in the tax filer’s home during the last six months of the tax year, except
in the case of temporary absences. (See Publication 17, Page 24)
4. The tax filer’s home was the main home of his or her child, stepchild, adopted child, or foster child for more
than half the tax year; and
5. The tax filer is able to claim an exemption for the child.
Also, you/your parent are “considered unmarried” for head of household purposes if the spouse was a nonresident alien at any time
during the year and the taxpayer doesn’t choose to treat the nonresident spouse as a resident alien.
Certification: I qualify to file as head of household, even though I’m legally married, because:
☐ My spouse was a nonresident alien during the tax year.
☐ My spouse and I resided at different addresses during the final six months of the tax year and each of us paid
more than half the cost of keeping up a home for the tax year.
My address during the tax year:
My spouse’s address during the tax year:
Certification and Signatures
Signing this worksheet certifies that all of the information you reported on it is
complete and correct.
WARNING: If you purposely give false or
misleading information you may be fined,
be sentenced to jail, or both.
Student’s Signature Date
Parent’s Signature (if dependent) Date
Please return this completed form to: GTCC Financial Aid Office, PO Box 309, Jamestown, NC 27282
or FAX to 336-217-8468.
click to sign
click to edit
click to sign
click to edit