How to Apply
• You must apply to the school you are attending.
• If you are a co-op student, a student in a brokered program,
or participating in an ofcial exchange, you must apply through
the school that will issue your post-secondary credential.
Other Eligibility Criteria (if required)
Indigenous Ancestry and Residency Requirements
• You must be Status Indian/First Nations, Non-Status Indian/
First Nations, Métis, or Inuit and be able to provide proof of
• You must be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident
of Canada and an Alberta resident.
Eligible School Requirement
You must be attending a participating:
• public post-secondary school in Alberta, or
• First Nations College in Alberta
Course Load and Study Requirements
• You must be enrolled in the 2020-21 Fall and/or Winter term
in order to be considered for this award. Students enrolled in
both terms are eligible for $2,000 per term for a total of $4,000.
Students enrolled in only the Fall or the Winter term are eligible
for $2,000. A term is dened as a study period of up to 17 weeks
• You must be enrolled in at least 60% of a full course load.
• If you are a student with a documented permanent disability,
you can be eligible if you are enrolled in at least 40% of a full
• Your school determines what constitutes a full-time course
load in each program.
• Co-op students, students in brokered programs, and students
who are participating in an ofcial exchange may be eligible.
• You must be in satisfactory academic standing as determined
by your school - satisfactory academic standing may vary in
how it is determined by school or program.
• You are not eligible to receive the award if you withdraw from
studies or drop from full-time to part-time studies before the
award is paid.
• You must be enrolled in a certicate, diploma, applied or
bachelor’s degree program. Students enrolled in apprenticeship
technical training, integrated training, pre-employment or non-
credential programs are not eligible.
Indigenous Careers Award
Value – $4,000
The Indigenous Careers Award is designed to encourage Indigenous Albertans (First Nations, Métis, and Inuit) to pursue and complete
post-secondary studies in certicate, diploma, applied degree, and bachelor’s degree programs.
Indigenous Careers Award Last revised April 2020
(Schools may insert any additional eligibility requirements.)